Monday, June 1, 2015

May Wrap-Up and June TBR

       Hello, all! Today I will be doing another monthly Wrap-Up and TBR list. The past month has flown by, and I read some really great books during it. Let's take a look:

May Wrap-Up

1) The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban

        I enjoyed this book, I did. It was moving and, at times, dark, but I felt like it was lacking in something. I didn't care for the ending, it was too Ethan Frome, which made the ending predictable to me. I also feel like there wasn't a proper wrap-up, like it was trying to end tragically, but didn't. The ending just fell flat for me. I would recommend reading it, though, because the rest of the book was good.

Rating:
3 out of 5 Cups of Tea
 
2) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

       I loved this book! It was simple and magical and just plain fun. I can't believe it took me so long to read this! I so wish I would have read it when I was little, because I have a feeling I would have really loved it even more than I do now. Though, I liked it, it isn't my favorite children's classic that I've read, and so I'm not giving it a full five cups of tea.
Rating:
4 out of 5 Cups of Tea

3) Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1 by QuinRose and Soumei Hoshino

       I don't usually read mangas. I did for a month or so when I was twelve, but that was really the last time I have read one. I really just don't know much about them. With that in mind, I enjoyed this one, but I'm not sure I would still like it if I began to read more of them and found this one not as good. I thought it was an interesting take on Alice in Wonderland, and it had some silly/fun moments. It wasn't bad read.

Rating:
2.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea

4) All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

       I really enjoyed this book, and I would highly recommend it! You can check out the full review here.
Rating:
4 out of 5 Cups of Tea

5) A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy) by Deborah Harkness

I had a hard time with this one at first. I wanted to like it, but there were certain scenes that I had a hard time with. The major relationship really bugged me at times, mostly because Matthew, the vampire love-interest, was very secretive, bossy and protective. I had a hard time routing for him and Diana at times. Towards the end, I felt more at ease with it, but I still have a lot of problems with their relationship. Other than this, I really did enjoy this book. There was a lot to the story, and I liked that there were so many different things going on. I think I'll get the second one at some point, probably not anytime soon, though.

Rating:
3.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



June TBR

       My Goodreads challenge for the year is to read 80 books, and I am currently behind. I have therefore decided to kick my reading up a notch. I finish finals on June 11th, and will have the rest of the month to hopefully get back on track. I will be attempting to read ten books this month, and I'm excited about the one's I've picked.

1) The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

       This is going to be my classic for the month (One of them, anyways). I have had this book for a little while, and I've been wanting to read more from Fitzgerald. The only thing I've read by him is The Great Gatsby, which I enjoyed. I'll be taking a 20th Century American Lit class in the fall, so I'm hoping this will get me in the mood for it.

2) A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

       I am a huge fan of Sarah J. Maas, and so I have been dying to get this book! Everyone has been saying such wonderful things about it, and it is taking all of my patience to wait to get this book. Alas, I have to stick to my "read two, buy one" rule, so I can't get it until after finishing The Beautiful and Damned. Definitely look forward to a review for this one!

3) The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart


       I got this book at some point last year, not knowing what it was about. I think I picked it up at Half Price Books, and it was cheap, and it looked interesting, so I bought it. (Did I mention I have a book-buying problem? Sigh.). I honestly randomly selected this one to read this month. Why not give it a shot? I must have bought it for a reason, right?

4) Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger

       This is the second book in the Parasol Protectorate series. I read the first, Soulless, last year and loved it! I got the box set for Christmas, and so I will be reading the rest of this series in June.

5) Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

       Time to buy another book! I've heard much about this one, and I'm really excited to get it. Apparently it's a take on Beauty and the Beast, which is my favorite Disney movie. I'm excited to see what the author does with it. I'm hoping I like it as much as everyone else seems to.

6) The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

       Confession: I have never seen The Lord of the Rings movies. Please, don't judge me. I have always wanted to, but I have also always wanted to read the books first. So, I am finally going to read them! I read the Hobbit last year, and really liked it, so I'm going to keep on with the first in the trilogy!

7) Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger

       I will be continuing in the Parasol Protectorate series with this third book.

8) Love, Lucy by April Linder

       Time for a new book, again! And all I can say is: A modern take on A Room With a View?! Yes, please! I am so excited to read this book! One of my favorite books is A Room With a View, and so I honestly cannot wait to get my hands on this! I also have a lot of faith in April Linder, since I read her amazing modern take on Jane Eyre.

9) Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger


       Continuing on with the fourth book in Parasol Protectorate series.

10) Timeless (Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger


       I will finish up the month with the last book in the Parasol Protectorate series!

       Have you read any of these? Will I like them? Make sure to leave a comment and let me know if there are any you would like me to review! See you guys next week!

        Your Pemberley Reader,
              Acacia

1 comment :

  1. The Mysterious Benedict Society looks like a great book and series. I think as an older woman I may even enjoy reading it. Thanks again for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete