Monday, August 24, 2015

Author Spotlight: Sarah J. Maas

Hello! 

This month's author spotlight is on the talented Sarah J. Maas. She is one of the leading authors in YA literature today, and there are loads of fans who just can not get enough of her novels. There are even whole tumblr blogs dedicated to her works. They, along with other fans, come up with fan art, theories on the future of the characters, and, of course, multiple discussions on who is shipped and who is not in Maas's books. This is a fandom that has been growing for the last several years and that continues to grow.

I was actually late jumping onto the Maas train. It wasn't until earlier this year that I read Throne of Glass, Maas's first novel. Like many others, I instantly fell in love with this novel. The main character Celaena is the strong female lead that many readers have been in search for their entire lives. She can kill you in a matter of seconds with little to no mercy, and go home to love on her puppy, dress up in her best clothes, read her favorite books, and eat her favorite chocolate. Maas, in a matter of chapters, pages really, creates a character that readers are instantly invested in, that readers instantly relate to and want to befriend. 

Like Celaena, the rest of the characters in the ToG series are amazingly complex and original. Maas creates a world full of living, breathing people that have realistic flaws, needs, and desires. The world in which these characters live are just as amazing. Well, actually, their world is pretty dark and scary, but Maas does an amazing job of bringing it all to life. Her world-building is the kind every fantasy reader yearns for and every fantasy writer envies. 

The thing I love most about Maas is her willingness and, often times, apparent fearlessness in killing off characters. I know this is a weird thing to like, but I've always hated those writers who tell stories of war and absolute bloodshed but who never kill off major characters. This isn't just boring; it's bad writing. Maas doesn't shy away, however. Readers can be sure of only one thing when reading Maas's books: You will never be able to predict who lives and who dies. Maas does an outstanding job of staying truthful to what war, treason, and revenge really mean. 


This is also one of those series that only gets better with each book. The first hooked me, but the second and third threw me into a deep spiral of loving all things Maas. These other books made me a true fan. The entire series is captivating. It manages to be incredibly dark while simultaneously being a beacon of inspiration. I highly, without a single complaint, recommend this series to everyone. I can not get enough of it. (With that being said, I have not actually read the prequel book, The Assassin's Blade, that has come out. It is a collection of short novellas following Celaena before ToG. From what I've heard it is supposed to be amazing.)

Maas also came out with the first novel in a new series earlier this year: A Court of Thorns and Roses. I loved this novel as well, and I'm very excited to see where Maas takes these characters and this new world. I may have been so obsessed with reading this that I didn't study thoroughly enough for one of my finals. That's entirely different story, though. I have a full review for this novel here.

Thus far, I have loved every novel from Maas. I would, without a doubt, give all of her books 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea. Her writing, her characters, her fierceness in telling such imporant stories, it all makes her one of my favorite authors at the moment. I am looking forward to the September 1st release of her new novel, Queen of Shadows, which is the fourth installment of The Throne of Glass Series.

If you haven't read Maas before, I sincerely hope that you all will check out her novels. I hope you love them as much as I do. If you have, what is your favorite of her books? Who do you ship? (Without giving away spoilers, please!) If there is a friend who you're wanting to share Maas with send them a link to this Spotlight. Hopefully, together we can convince them to read!

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia

No comments :

Post a Comment