Monday, August 3, 2015

August TBR

It's a new month, and I have a new list of books to read. I may have splurged a little this weekend and broken some of my book buying rules (Cheap books will be the death of my wallet.), so I will be changing this month from buying a new book every two books, to buying one every three. I think this will help me get through a few extra books this month so I can read the ones I bought this weekend next month. So, without further ado, here is my TBR:

1) Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern


I've had this book for about a year or so, and I thought that it sounded like a cute romance. I haven't really heard much about it, but on Goodreads it has been compared to The Fault in Our Stars and Eleanor & Park, so I'm hoping I enjoy it.

2) The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien


I'm finally going to finish this series! I am so happy that I will finally be able to say that I've read these. Now, I just need to make sure I watch the movies.

3) I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson


I've heard so many good things about this novel, and I've wanted to read it for a while. I've had this book since December of last year, but have still yet to read it. I'm not sure what its about other than a brother and sister who have a difficult relationship. From what I've heard, I have a feeling it's probably going to make me cry.

4) The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh


This is a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights, and it has gotten amazing reviews and a ton of hype from the book community. From what I've heard, I'm very excited to buy and read this novel. I think it will be a dark, interesting read. Look forward to a review of this one!

5) Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel


This is a contemporary novel based loosely off of Peter Pan, and I am super excited to read it. I read Sheinmel's The Beautiful Between about five years ago, and actually got to meet Sheinmel, who is super nice. The Beautiful Between was an amazing novel about first love and loss, and it made me cry my eyes out. I have a lot of faith that this novel will be just as good.

6) The Program by Suzanne Young


I heard so much about this book when it first came out in 2013, but not much after. I know there are a couple of other books in the series, but this is really the only one I've heard much about. I know it is about a facility that basically takes away people's depression by taking away their memories, which sounds pretty dark. We'll see if I end up liking this one.

7) Emma by Jane Austen


I'm continuing my Austen rereads with Emma. This was one of my least favorite Austen novels the first time I read it, but after rereading it a few years ago, I realized how much I just love Emma's character growth throughout the novel. I'm really looking forward to taking a closer look at certain characters and aspects of this novel during this read through.

8) Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


This book has gotten an insane amount of good reviews. I've heard nothing but good things so far, and I know that the author has been signed for a second novel. I know it's a fantasy novel about a society that is heavily segregated by blood and class, but other than that I'm not entirely sure what its about. I'm looking forward to a good fantasy read, though, so hopefully that's what I get from this.

9) Panic by Lauren Oliver


This novel has mixed reviews, but I got it for pretty cheap a few months back. The novel follows a small town as it holds some sort of "game" that the high-school seniors participate in. It sounds a little Hunger Games-ish to me, but I don't think it's a dystopian novel. I also don't think there is a sequel to this, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this fairs as a stand-alone.

10) The Picture of Dorian Gray (Dover Thrift Editions) by Oscar Wilde


I am two years into my English degree, and the number of times I've heard this novel referenced is a little ridiculous. I've been wanting to read the novel for a while because of this, and so when I found this novel at a garage sale a few months ago for fairly cheap, I hopped on the chance to buy it. Now, I'm finally reading it, and I'm excited to finally know what everyone is talking about when they reference this novel in class.

Well, that's the list for this month! I will also be reading some of Anna Karenina, as I said I would a couple of weeks ago, and I will also be, every now and then, reading a non-fiction book I got this weekend called Left Back: A Century of Battles Over School Reform. I got this novel because I have wanted to start reading more non-fiction. Since I read non-fiction so slowly, I'm going to just go with the slow-flow and read this at leisure.

I think this list will make for a good reading month, and I'm looking forward to a lot of new reviews and maybe some new favorites.

I'll see you all Thursday with a review of Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes.

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia








No comments :

Post a Comment