Friday, July 31, 2015

July Wrap-Up

Hello, everyone!

This was a month of reading that definitely had its ups and its downs. There were some books that I absolutely loved, and some that I truly disliked. Here's the list:

1) P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han


I love this series. Plain and simple, I love basically everything about it. Though this book wasn't quite as good as the first, I still love how cute and deep comes across simultaneously. The characters always have more layers than you expect them to, and I think that it lends a hand to how wonderful these books are. I'm very excited for the next book. Hopefully Lara Jean ends up with who I want her to!

Rating: 4 out of 5 Cups of Tea



2) Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel by Ava Dellaira


I honestly did not like this book. It was boring, and I never really became invested in the lives of the characters. I thought about putting it down and just not finishing it, and though it did have its redeeming moments towards the end, I still don't know whether continuing was worth my time. I did review this novel, so if you're looking for something more thorough, go here.

Rating: 2 out of 5 Cups of Tea


3) The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien


Well, of the two books I've read so far, this wasn't my favorite. It was good, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed a lot of it, but getting to those parts that I liked sometimes took a while. I felt like there were sometimes more things not happening than things happening. I did however love the last few chapters of the book, and that cliff-hanger ending is making me quite excited to start reading the third book next month! On a side-note, my love for Aragorn prevails. *swoons*

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea

4) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab


Oh my goodness, this book was amazing! I loved every second of this novel, and I can't wait to read more by this amazing author. Check out my full review of this book, here.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea

5) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Why did this novel get so much hype, exactly? I don't understand why this was so popular. I get that the twist is interesting and totally comes out of nowhere, but it didn't make me like the characters anymore. That was the biggest problem with this book for me. I mean, almost every single character annoyed me. Sure they were dark and twisted, especially at the end, but they just weren't characters I cared about or felt invested in.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea

6) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Do I even need to talk about this? I love this novel. It is and will forever be one of my favorite books. If you somehow didn't read this in high school, go read it now. You're missing out.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


7) Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee


This was such a complex novel. Though it was originally an early draft of To Kill a Mockingbird, I am so glad that they decided to publish it. I did a full review of this novel, which you can find here.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Cups of Tea


8)Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


After hearing so much about this series, I think it may have been a little overhyped for me. I did really enjoy it, but there were a lot of things that also made me dislike it. You can check out my full review here.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Cups of Tea


9) Persuasion by Jane Austen

This is not only one of my favorite Austen novels, but one of my favorite novels in general. This book is just so much sadder and more tense than of Austen's other works, and it tugs at heart every time I read it. If you haven't read this yet, please do.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



10)An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir


Well, I still haven't finished this one, but I plan on doing so later today. My family and I are taking a road-trip today, so I'll have plenty of time to read in the car. So, though I can't yet tell you how I feel about it yet, I will have a full book review on it up next week. Make sure to keep your eyes open for that!

Rating: Yet To Be Determined

That's all for today, guys. I'll be posting August's exciting TBR on Monday. See you guys then!

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia

No comments :

Post a Comment