Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year, New Posts, New Books!

Happy New Year!

I hope all of you had a wonderful month of holidays, celebration, and family time. I know I did. With the new year, I am excited to announce that I am only taking 15 credits at school and will be able to post regularly again! 18 credits and working is apparently just not conducive for blogging, let alone finding time to read. This next quarter should be better though!

As some of you may remember from my post Books That Terrify Me, I was having problems in 2015 with not reading certain books because of length or time restraints. I was always overly concerned about how reading a long book would affect my yearly reading goal. Well, not this year! I've decided that this year I will not be caught up in the need to speed read through books in order to stay on track. No, this year, I am going to take my time with my reading and not worry about how many books I read.

With that being said, my TBRs may be a bit different this year. They will consist of books I hope to get to over the month, but that I may not end up reading. There may be fewer books, as I'm hoping to read some longer books this year. There may even be some months that I decide not to have a TBR, but just let my wandering reading habits decide what to pick up next.

So, with that being said, here is what I hope to read in the month of January:

1) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


I'm already about half way through this one, and am really enjoying it thus far. It's a super long romance novel that follows a woman who, while on her "second honeymoon" in the late 1940s England, gets transported back to 1740s Scotland. Because of unforeseen circumstances there, she marries a man who is to protect her. The transition to this new life is extremely interesting, while the transition to a new husband is romantic and very different from her life in the 1940s. I'm looking forward to finishing this novel and seeing what happens. It is fairly long, though, at 850 pages. So, this may take me a while. However, like I said, no goals means I can take as much time as I'd like.

2) Romantic Outlaws by Charlotte Gordon


This book is also pretty long at around 600 pages, but it is flying by! I got this book on Christmas and have been reading it while reading Outlander. It is a biography on the mother-daughter pair Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley, who if you don't know, I love with an insane passion. These two are amazing. I thought I knew a good bit about them, but after reading only 50 pages, I have learned so much more and am increasingly more impressed and in awe of these two women. I highly suggest this book, and I'm not even close to done with it yet. If you want to read about two women who beat the odds of their time in order to prove the greatness of women everywhere, read this book!

3) Austenland by Shannon Hale


I've been wanting to read this novel for a while. As many of you may know, I'm sort of an Austen addict, so this novel is right up my alley. It is about a woman who goes to a sort of Austen "camp" where women can act as if they are in an Austen novel. There, the woman falls in love with one of the men, and I'm guessing he also falls in love with her. I'm really looking forward to this read!

4) The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon


I know a lot of people on tumblr who have read and love this book, so when I saw it for $5 or so at Barnes and Noble a few months ago, I made sure to pick it up! I'm not entirely sure what its about, but I know its a fantasy novel, which is always right up my alley. I also know it's supposed to have amazing characters and really great writing. Definitely excited to read this one.

5) Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs


I am finally going to pick this up, and I can not wait! For those of you who don't know, this is the third and last novel in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Series. This series combines old photographs, children with special abilities, time travel, and creepy monsters. In other words, it's amazing and you need to read it if you haven't. Anyways, this third installment has been one I've been looking forward to for a while, so I'm really excited to reading it. I highly suggest starting this series! The movie adaptation will be released later this year as well, so be a hipster and get in on it before it gets HUGE.

Well, that's it for this month's TBR. I'm looking forward to another great year of reading, blogging, and interacting with you all! I hope you all had a great New Year and are enjoying the many books you hopefully got over the holidays!

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia

No comments :

Post a Comment