Friday, February 19, 2016

Author Spotlight: Libba Bray

Today's Author Spotlight is on Libba Bray, one of my all time favorite authors. I first started reading her books when I was thirteen, and I have been a fan since the very first book. Check below for the multitude of amazing stories you can read from her.

The Gemma Doyle Series


This series was one of the first I read from the YA section of my bookstore. It has been years since I picked up A Great and Terrible Beauty, but I can still remember the way my heart pounded while reading this book. I can remember the excitement, the magic, the emotion. This was a fast-paced read that completely and utterly sucked me in. From the friendships (Ultimate girl squad, right here.) to the romance (Kartik, my little shipper heart will never get over you.), these books were the perfect series to get me into YA. I really want to reread them soon, as it has been too long without these amazing characters and stories in my life. 

The Diviners Series
















If you love things that go bump in the night, then this is the best Libba Bray book for you. If you love the 20's, too, then this is definitely the book for you. Murder, supernatural abilities, the roaring 20s, these books have it all. Plus, they're super long. Short books end too quickly; these are books you can hang out in for a while and really get to know the world they inhabit before coming back to reality. I have yet to read Lair of Dreams, but its on the TBR list for sure! 


Stand Alones
   












Both of these novels are stand alone books, though we all wish for more of these characters. Beauty Queens has been compared to Lord of the Flies... but you know, with teen pageant queens instead of ten year old boys. I haven't picked this one up quite yet, but I've heard it's one of Bray's best books, really bringing in her humor. Though I haven't read this one, I do have another recommendation if you want something to laugh about, and that's Going Bovine. Seriously, my sister and I had inside jokes about this book for years after reading it. This novel is about a sick high schooler named Cameron, his dwarf friend Gonzo, a garden gnome that the two pick up, and a possible angel that he may or may not be falling for. Going Bovine is Cameron's hilarious and heroic journey to find a cure for his sickness.

Seriously, anything by Libba Bray is great to pick up. The great thing about her is her wide range of books. You want romance and magic set in the 1800s? You got it. You want ghosts and psychics? You got it. You want plane crashed beauty queens? You got it. You want dying teenagers on a hilarious journey? You got it. Whatever your tastes, I highly recommend all of these books. Yes, even the ones I haven't yet read. It's by Libba Bray, so it's gonna be good.

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia

No comments :

Post a Comment