Monday, February 29, 2016

February Wrap-Up and March TBR

Hello, all!

It's been another month, and that means it is time to see how I liked the books I read in February and plan out what I'll be reading in March! Check it out below:

February Wrap-Up

1) Death Note Vol. 3: Hard Run by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata


I continued on with the Death Note series at the start of this month. Volume 3 was just as great as the first two volumes. I love this series so much, you guys. So many corrupt and fascinating characters, so much ambiguity and interesting twists. I highly recommend this series if you're wanting to get into mangas!

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


2) Jackaby by William Ritter

I have a full review of this one, here. I enjoyed it, but didn't necessarily love it, either.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Cups of Tea


3) Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi


This is one of two graphic novels that I had to read for my International Fiction class. I absolutely loved it! It is a autobiographical story about Marjane's childhood in Iran, both before and after the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Her family is so interesting to read about, and Satrapi tells such an interesting story with the use of her illustrations.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


4) Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi

This is part two of Satrapi's story. Part of this happens in Europe with Marjane as a teenager, and the other half of it happens back in Iran with Marjane as an adult. This is definitely darker than the first, but just as amazing. Definitely recommend these books.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


5) Austenland by Shannon Hale


I also did a full review of this one, which you can find here. Again, didn't love it, didn't hate it.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


6) Uprooted by Naomi Novik

A full review of this one can be found here. This was a great fantasy read, and I highly recommend it.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Cups of Tea


7) Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer


To those of you who love regency romances, please, please check out Georgette Heyer if you haven't heard of her. Her books are simply beautiful. They're so much fun to read, with lots of twists and cute romances. I highly recommend her books! This is one I hadn't read before, and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. I didn't think the two characters that I wanted together would end up together, but they did, and I was so pleased!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


8) I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

I loved reading this. I learned so, so much about Malala and Pakistan and the Taliban. I just feel so educated and amazed. Malala is amazing, and you should all go read her book. You will learn so much! I'm just going to go ahead and leave off with two of my favorite quotes from this. The first: "A Talib fires three shots at point-blank range at three girls in a van and doesn’t kill any of them. This seems an unlikely story, and people say I have made a miraculous recovery. My friend Shazia, who was hit twice, was offered a scholarship at Atlantic College in Wales so has also come to the UK for schooling, and so has Kainat. I know God stopped me from going to the grave. It feels like this life is a second life. People prayed to God to spare me, and I was spared for a reason— to use my life for helping people." And the second: "Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human."

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


9) Death Note Vol. 4: Love by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata

This was an interesting installment. I still enjoyed it and raced through it, but I didn't enjoy this one as much as the others. I'm excited to start the fifth volume soon, though, because this left off on a major cliffhanger.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Cups of Tea


10) Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I haven't quite finished this one yet, but I'm almost done and unless something traumatic or awful happens, I will be giving this book all my love forever and always. Expect a full review at some point soon!

Rating: Possible 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



March TBR

1) A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

I get to buy a new book! I get to buy a new book! I have officially read 10 books from my shelf, and that means that this bad boy is mine! This is the sequel to Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic, which I reviewed, here. I also, got to read the first few chapters of this via NetGalley, and it just made me so, so excited to get my hands on this! Seriously, Schwab is a literary genius. I can't wait to read this.

2) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin


This is, I believe, about a man who owns a bookshop and leads a fairly quiet life. Then a child is dropped on his stoop, and he takes the child in. I've heard nothing but cute, wonderful things about this novel, and I am so excited to get started on this one! Definitely keep an eye out for a review!


3) The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg


I have no idea what this is about. The name sounded cool, and I got it for like $2.99 on Amazon one day last year. I imagine it has something to do with books (or paper of some sort) and magic, which sounds right up my alley! I'm excited to hopefully review this one, as well, so be on the look out.


4) The Awakening (and selected short stories) by Kate Chopin

Fun fact: Kate Chopin is the author of one of my favorite short stories ever: "The Story of An Hour." I've had The Awakening for years now, but I have still not read it, and enough is enough. I'm going to pick this one up and see what all the fuss is about (apparently there is/was much fuss about this book.) Needless to say, I'm excited! Also, I've decided (once again, because I'm sure this has been a thing before that I stopped doing at one point or another on accident) that I should be reading at least one classic a month, and so this goes to fulfilling that goal!

5) Evernight by Claudia Gray

This is about vampires and by an author that wrote one of my favorite YA books, A Thousand Pieces of You. So, I'm pretty excited to get to this one! I haven't really heard much about this series, so I'm excited that I'm able to go into this with no expectations.


6) The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

The Mistborn series, though I believe it has been around for a while, has been getting a lot of attention recently, and so I'm finally hopping onto the bandwagon and starting it! This is a fairly long book, so it may take me most of spring break to get through, but I'm really looking forward to it. As I said a few weeks ago, I'm wanting to get into more fantasy, and this is supposed to be some legit, intense fantasy, so I'm super excited to get reading!



7) The Color Purple by Alice Walker

I've also decided that I want to read at least one book by a POC author per month. One would think that I wouldn't have to set out to do this, but I've realized that the authors I read tend to be mostly white, so I'm going to try and put in some effort to change this! I got The Color Purple for fairly cheap a few months ago while visiting Powell's in Portland, Oregon, but accidentally left it at home during Christmas break. So, when I go home in a few weeks, I'll be able to pick this one up and count this towards this new monthly goal!

Well, that's it from me! Have you read any of these? Do you think I'll enjoy them? Let me know in the comments!

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia




No comments :

Post a Comment