Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Top 5: Books I Read As A Child

This weekend, I had the immense joy of going into a children's bookstore on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC. There, I got to browse through a couple aisles of books that brought back a lot of memories. As I shopped for a few books for my six year old cousin's birthday, I couldn't help but pick up the ones I had such fond memories of reading as a child. So, I thought this week's Top 5 could be about my favorite childhood books.

5) Biscuit Books by Alyssa Satin Capucilli


I have always loved dogs, and so this was the perfect book for me as a child. Part of my love for these books were the stories, but a majority of my love came from how adorable Biscuit is. I mean, he's one of the cutest illustrated dog ever, espicially to a six year old who loved puppies. These were also some of the first books that I remember learning to read with. I distinctly remember the one where Biscuit befriends a baby duck. So adorable!


4) Corduroy by Don Freeman


I remember wanting to read this book all the time as a child. I'm sure my parents got tired of reading this one to me and were probably thrilled when I learned to read by myself. Part of my love for this one was the story, but the other part was purely the illustrations. I have vivid memories of turning the pages and just wanting to study each picture. I was usually more invested in the story, but this one was definitely more about the illustrations.


3) Madeline by Ludwig BĂ©melmans

I loved this book with an insane passion for a child. This is the book that lead to my love of Paris and probably the start of my wanting red hair. I also loved the movie. I probably loved the movie more than I loved the book, actually. Whenever I couldn't watch the movie, I would just read the book. Because of this story, I basically wanted to be a curious, adventurous red-headed orphan living in Paris. Now, I'm a red-head living in Seattle... Does that count?

2) Tales of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter


I had the large hardcover copy of the complete tales of Peter Rabbit. Beatrix Potter was apparently a goddess in our household when I was a small child. I only have a couple of memories of reading Peter Rabbit, but I have this odd fondness and nostalgia whenever I hear it brought up that always makes me smile.


1) The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne


Guys, this was five year old Acacia's bae. I remember reading this more times than anything else as a child. I had the cassette tapes that I would plug into my Hello Kitty radio, and I would lie on the ground and listen to it. My first ever memory of reading is reading from this book, sounding out the words with my dad's help. I still have the copy I had as a child. Though I've gotten rid of most of my books from my childhood, whether donating them or passing them on to the baby relatives that have come along over the years, this is the one I have never been able to get rid of. It started my love for reading, and you can't just get rid of that.

Your Pemberley Reader,
Acacia





No comments :

Post a Comment