Monday, July 13, 2015

Author Spotlight: Rainbow Rowell

       Hello! 

       Do you have that one author that you just can not get enough of? You know, the one author that will come out with a book that you have no idea what it's about, but you buy it anyways? That's how I am with today's author. 

       This month's author spotlight is on the amazing Rainbow Rowell. If you haven't picked up her books before, hopefully by the end of this, you'll head to the nearest bookstore to get one (or all) of them.

       My love for Rainbow Rowell began in 2013 when I read her YA novel Eleanor & Park. I had never heard of it, but I read a review John Green wrote about it, and figured I should pick it up. Since then, I have loved every novel I've read by her. 

       Eleanor & Park is a wonderfully crafted novel about two teens who struggle with their home lives, bullies, and falling in love for the first time. It is written so well that you never want it to end. The characters come alive, and just as they fall in love with each other, you fall in love with them. One thing I appreciated about this book, which I know there are many mixed opinions about, is the ending. I thought it was crafted so well and just really set the tone for the book. It left me wanting more, but also left me knowing that it ended the way it did for a reason. It's a truly beautiful book. 

        Later in 2013, I participated in tumblr's reblogbookclub. The first book they reviewed was Rowell's Fangirl, which couldn't have come at a better time in my life. Fangirl is about the bookish, shy, anxiety-ridden (I feel as if I'm describing myself right now) Cath as she goes through her first year of college. Because I was one of the participants in the book club, I actually received this book for free, but, since it's so amazing, have bought a copy or two more to share with friends. This is a book I want to share with everyone, I think, because I just relate to Cath so much. I read this going into my first year of college, where I struggled with my social anxiety in ways I never had to at my tiny high school. Reading about Cath's struggles and the way that she grows throughout this book was a sort of anchor for me through my first year. If Cath could get through it, so could I. 

        Not only did this book help me personally, but I've garnered so much inspiration from it for the novel I am currently working on. The tone of this book is one that is both very emotional, but very light-hearted all at once, and this exact tone is something I want to capture in the novel I'm working on. Writing wise, Rainbow Rowell is one of my largest inspirations. 

       During my freshmen year of college I also read Rowell's adult novel Attachments. This book is hilarious. I laughed so hard throughout the entire thing. The characters are quirky, lovable, and their relationship is one of the best I've read in any contemporary adult novel. The mutual stalking (you'll understand when you read) and the great one-liners make this book one of my favorite adult books. 

        In 2014, I was actually contacted by Rowell's publisher to see if I wanted an advanced copy of her newest novel Landline because of my participation in the reblogbookclub. Of course I said yes, and so I was sent an ARC of this novel. I absolutely loved it. I had no idea what it was about until I got it, and once I found out the premise, I was hooked before I even started reading. The novel follows Georgie, a wife and mother, who feels a small wedge beginning to appear in her marriage. While staying with her mother for a few days, Georgie discovers the old landline in her childhood bedroom allows her to talk with her husband. I know what you're thinking - Yes, this is how phones work - but the catch is that she is really talking to her husband of the past, before they were married, before they were even engaged. This premise alone hooked me, and the amazing writing, plot, and characters just reeled me into completely and totally loving this book. 

       Later this year, Rowell will be coming out with her newest novel Carry On. This is going to be really interesting to read, because the characters are technically characters she has already worked with in Fangirl. You see, in Cath's world there are the Simon Snow books, which Cath writes fanfiction about. It is a sort of Harry Potter world, but not. While writing the fanfiction scenes, Rowell began wanting to write an actual Simon Snow novel, and so she did. Now, it's being published as Carry On, and it is sure to be a hit, not just for those already Rowell fans, but also for those who are looking for more LGBT literature in the young adult genre, as Simon Snow's arch-nemesis Baz will also become his love interest. The best thing about this book will definitely be the fact that new fans of Rowell will be able to read it without having read Fangirl. (Though, I suggest reading Fangirl as soon as you can get your hands on a copy, because, like I said, it's amazing.)

       You can also check out a short story of Rowell's in Stephanie Perkins's My True Love Gave to Me, which is a wonderful holiday season themed anthology of short stories. There are 12 awesome stories written by 12 amazing YA authors, one of them being Rainbow Rowell. 

       Rowell's writing is fun, beautiful, and leave you wanting more. I promise that you will not regret picking up any of her books. There is something for everyone, both teen and adult, both contemporary lover and fantasy lover (once Carry On comes out). Each novel is a beautiful collection of characters that will make you smile and cry and want to give hugs to all of them. I am so excited to see what else Rowell has up her story-telling sleeves over the years to come. She is one of those authors that I hope to love for a very long time. 

       Have you read any of Rowell's books? Which is your favorite? If you haven't read any, which do you want to pick up first? Let me know in the comments! 

       Your Pemberley Reader,
              Acacia 

No comments :

Post a Comment