Thursday, July 2, 2015

July TBR

       Hello again!

       I'm so excited for the books I have planned to read this month! I have a lot more reviews planned this month, and I really just can't wait to get started on all of these novels. I'm continuing on with my "one new, two already owned" method this month. It seems to be working, even if it seems slow going. Now, enough yammering. Let's get started!

1) P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han


       I get to start off the month with a new book! I'm very excited to buy this one! I was surprised by how much I liked the first in this series, To All The Boys I've Loved Before. I honestly wasn't expecting much out of it, but it ended up making me cry at one point. I am very excited to read the second book and to see what happens in these character's lives. If there is anyone thinking about starting this series, I would definitely recommend doing so.

2) Love Letters to the Dead: A Novel by Ava Dellaira


       I have had this novel for a while. I think I got it right after the novel came out, when there was a bunch of hype about it, but never quite got around to reading it. So, what better time than now? The premise sounds interesting, as it's about a girl who, for a school project, starts writing letters to the dead while also grieving her dead sister. She writes to rock stars and historic figures, which should be fun to read. Maybe a little heart-breaking. We shall see.

3) The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien


       I've decided to just continue right on along with this series and to read the second, which I bought a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next, which may seem shocking to people. How do I not know what happens? You may forget that I have not only not read the books, but I have never seen the movies. I'm a first-timer and only a little ashamed proud of it.

4) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab


       I've heard so much about this author in the past few months, and all of it is good. Everyone seems to agree that this is the author to read if you haven't. So, I'm finally going to get her newest YA book. I've heard a lot of great things about it, and so I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I'll have to let you guys know what I think when I finish!

5) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


       I feel like the only person on the face of the planet who doesn't know what the twist is. I've heard about the twist, but I have some how managed to stay spoiler free thus far. I don't know how long that will continue, though, and so I have decided to finally jump on the bandwagon and read this book. I've owned it for a while. I think I got it when everyone was talking about it right before the movie came out. I'm not sure how I'll feel about it, as I know many people who have loved it, but many who have hated it as well. It will be interesting to see on which side I fall.

6) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


       I read this in high school, but have been wanting to reread it for a couple of years now. I loved this novel the first time around, and I'm hoping to get even more out of it now that I'm a little older. I also am wanting to reread it so that I can read Go Set A Watchman when it comes out!

7) Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee


       I, like many other literature nerds, am all in a tizzy about this book. I mean, it's the first and probably only thing Lee will publish after To Kill A Mockingbird. I know there is a lot of controversy over this novel and how much input Lee had in it actually getting published, but I have to read it. I just have to.

8) Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo


       I've had this book for a while. I think I got the hardcover copy for only a few books at some outlet book store, and so I decided to pick it up. I never actually read it, though, but lately, as I think the last book has come out, I've heard a lot of talk about this series. So, I'm finally going to read it! Expect a review for this one!

9) Persuasion by Jane Austen


       When I return to school in the fall, I'll be mentoring a freshmen seminar that focuses on Jane Austen. I took this seminar myself two years ago, and am looking forward to helping the new class adjust to college and maybe getting the chance to rub off some of my Jane Austen addiction on them. We read three novels: Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. Since I'm taking two 3000-level literature classes in the fall, I decided rereading these novels during summer would be best. So, I'll be getting started on these by reading Persuasion again. This is one of my favorite novels, not only by Austen, but just in general, and so I'm very excited to reread it.

10) An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir


       There has been so much hype surrounding this book. I'm pretty sure I have heard not a single bad word about this novel. Not one. Which makes me a little wary. I'm hoping I enjoy this book as much as others. I'm not sure what it's about, but I've heard enough praises to know that I have got to read it whether I end up liking it or not. We'll see how it goes.

       Well, that's what I'll be reading! Let me know if you've read any of these or if there are any you would like me to review. I'm looking forward to all of these books, and I think it's going to be a pretty good reading month. I'll see you all on Monday with a book review!

        Your Pemberley Reader,
               Acacia

No comments :

Post a Comment