Wednesday, July 1, 2015

June Wrap-Up

        Hello all!

       Since I read a whole 10 books in June and will be reading another 10 books in July, I decided a combined wrap-up/TBR would be too long. So, I'll be having an extra blog post this week! *happy dance*

       So, without further ado, here is my June Wrap-Up!

1) The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

   
      Much to my surprise I absolutely adored this book! See, I was never a huge fan of The Great Gatsby. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it, but I just never understood why there was so much fuss concerning it. This novel, though, this novel I can see there being fuss about. Which there really isn't compared to Gatsby. Despite not many thinking this is the better of Fitzgerald's novels, I would have to say that, out of the ones I've read, this is.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



2) A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


        I did a full review on this one, which can be found here. I really enjoyed this book, and I would definitely recommend it.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



3) The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart


        This was a cute story. It's a middle-grade book that follows the lives of four children who are asked to help out on a secret mission to save the world. It was an interesting story full of riddles and fun adventures. Though I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite middle-grade novels, I would definitely be interested in reading the rest of this series.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Cups of Tea



4) Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger

 
      I love the wit and the fun in this series. This was a great addition and continuation to the first novel, but not, in my opinion, as good as the first. I liked how much it set up for the rest of the series, though, and the cliff-hanger ending was both heartbreaking and plenty of motivation to keep going with the series.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



5) Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge


        This, like A Court of Thorns and Roses, was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but in a very different way. The beginning started out lovely and with a lot of emotional depth. I was immediately sucked into this book, and enjoyed a majority of it. Towards the end however, I began to get bored, and the ending was a little odd to me. I would have liked another chapter or two, but was ultimately left disappointed by the end.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Cups of Tea



6) The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien


       WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS? I loved this book so much! The adventure, the danger, the wonderfulness. I am so excited to now watch the movie and to also continue on reading this series next month. Oh, and one last thing: Aragorn. *swoons*

Rating: 5 out of 5 Cups of Tea



7) Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger


        This was an amazing continuation of the series. The relationships, the new information, everything. This was a great sequel! Though this one still wasn't up to par with the first, it was better than second. I loved every second of this one.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Cups of Tea



8) Love, Lucy by April Linder


        I did a full review of this novel as well. You can find it here. In short, I enjoyed it, but not in comparison to Forster's A Room With a View, which this novel is based off of. There were some minor things that bugged me about it, but not anything that made me hate it. It was a good read overall.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


9) Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger


        The fourth book in this series, Heartless, was great as well. It answered some unresolved questions from past books and created new problems for the next book. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first or third in the series.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


10) Timeless (Parasol Protectorate) by Gail Carriger


       This is how you end a series, people! This might have been as good as the first book. I loved every second of this one, and the plot had me on the edge of my seat the entire read. This series ended as great as it started, and I could not be more pleased with the ending. Apprently there is also a sequel series to these books, and I want to start that at some point in the near future.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Cups of Tea


I think I had a pretty great reading month! The books I read were full of adventure, romance, and quirky characters. What else can you ask for?

Check back tomorrow to find out what I'll be reading in July!

       Your Pemberley Reader,
                Acacia

1 comment :

  1. Goodness how do you remember all those, wait...you're young! Never mind! LOL...Great review!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete